Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Devoted

Devoted - characterized by loyalty and devotion (a devoted fan), (he is devoted to her). Synonyms include words like loyal, faithful, staunch, dedicated and attached.

When I think of someone as being devoted I get a picture in my mind of my grandfather and grandmother. They were incredibly devoted to one another. They loved each other and didn't really like to be away from each other. No one had to tell me that. It was obvious.

When my grandfather died, my grandmother became a different person. She was still "grandma" when we came to visit her, but once in a while we would catch her with tears in her eyes, crying. She really missed my grandpa after her passed.

They weren't a "perfect couple." They still disagreed upon occasion but those moments were few and far between and they always made up for any hurt feelings with hugs and kisses.

Recently, I've been reading through the Old Testament and it is very apparent in those books that God is looking for a "devoted" Israel. There were times when Israel and God had a good relationship but there were many other times where they "did evil in the eyes of the Lord." The relationship went bad and Israel was punished, or "given over to the hands of their enemies."

Just like God's relationship with Israel, our earthly relationships are extremely important in God's eyes. Especially our relationship with Him.We were created by Him for that very purpose. I mentioned that in my previous post (Creation). Our devotion to God, in our relationships and at work, are all extremely important to God.

My question for you today is: Are you totally devoted to God? Key word = totally.

Speaking for myself, I try very hard to be devoted, but I always seem to be falling short. I try to be in God's Word daily. I listen to sermons playing in my ears while I am working. I go to worship every Sunday. I have a small group I lead at church. I am a volunteer youth leader, etc, etc, etc. but I am nowhere near devoted.

If I was totally devoted I would pray every day and throughout the day. I don't do that. If I was totally devoted to God I would quit my job and find something more God-honoring to do with my life but . . . I am comfortable and my family depends on me making money so we can pay our bills. Does it concern me that I am not devoted to God when His first and greatest commandment is to "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. " (Deuteronomy 6:5)

I'm hopeless. Well, I shouldn't say that. I have Jesus. Jesus gives me hope. Yet, despite his dying on the cross for me because I am not devoted to Him, I STILL am not devoted to him!!! Grrr.

So what should we do, we "devoted followers of Christ?" What should we do with our incredible lack of devotion, KNOWING that God demands it. Get down on our knees and beg forgiveness for starters. And then take steps to GET devoted!

Set aside time for God every day. Manage to be in the Bible every day. No exceptions!!! It's okay to spend time at work or school, but use those opportunities to bring glory to God. Speak to a friend or co-worker about Jesus. Let His light shine through you into the lives of those around you. He placed his Holy Spirit in you for a reason - to help you, to guide you. Follow!!!

Look at it this way. We are here on this planet for a very short time. The greatest stretch of time we will ever experience is with our God, our King. So why are we wasting time worrying about what kind of clothes to wear or who's friends with whom?

Prioritize your life today and become devoted, totally devoted, to the very meaning of the word. God is devoted. He is devoted to loving us despite our shortcomings. Maybe it's time we devoted ourselves to Him for a change. And who knows, perhaps God will bless us in those other areas of our lives BECAUSE of our devotion to Him.

“And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." - Matthew 28:33

2 comments:

  1. I linked to the same passage yesterday! Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Proving once again that great minds think alike. ;)

      Delete