Saturday, August 6, 2016

Give Me Some Kind of Sign

Have you ever been unsure about whether or not to do something when all of a sudden something happens to help you answer that question? Is it some kind of sign? Has that ever happened to you? Because it happens quite frequently in MY life.

I'll be thinking about someone and reach for my phone to send them a text, but before I can pick it up, it lights up with an incoming text from that very same friend. Weird. But that happens often enough where In have noticed it.

Whenever I have made very important decisions in my life, after I have thought long and hard about something and finally acted on that decision, I have often seen a bald eagle flying overhead. Was that some kind of sign that I made the right decision? And if I made the wrong decision, would I see a vulture circling instead? LOL!

Recently I have been hesitating about acting on a project of mine - the building of some shelters for the homeless. All along through the planning stages I have thought, "God will provide" but now that it's time to spend some actual cash, I was getting cold feet. I was hesitating.

One morning as I was praying with my friend at work an idea popped into my head. It was a really strange idea about using a tow truck to move my tiny shelters from one place to the other. Could that actually work? Based on all of the previous "signs" I have encountered in my life, I gave it extra notice. I thought about it all through the day. looking at pictures of tow truck, trying to figure out how tall my shelter could be to legally go down the highway. My thoughts were consumed by the idea.

That night as we left work I was still thinking about it and talking about it with my friend. We got in our separate cars and left work. I pulled up to the stop sign and was surprised to see a tow truck slow and turn in front of me . . . so I could get a good look I guess. Was it a sign?

Does stuff like that happen to you? It happens often enough to me that I almost come to expect it. Are signs Biblical? Did they happen back in Jesus' day? The Bible is filled with them!

"Ask a sign for yourself from the LORD your God; make it deep as Sheol or high as heaven." - Isaiah 7:11

"So Gideon said to Him, "If now I have found favor in Your sight, then show me a sign that it is You who speak with me." - Judges 6:17

"As the crowds were increasing, He began to say, "This generation is a wicked generation; it seeks for a sign, and yet no sign will be given to it but the sign of Jonah." - Luke 11:29

There are so many instances of signs in the Bible, it HAS to be some kind of sign!! LOL!

The biggest questions I have about signs are, "Are they really signs?" and, if they are, "Who am I, that God would send ME a sign?" And while I'm asking questions, "What will happen to me if I ignore a sign?"

So many questions about signs, so little faith on my part. If we were sure these "signs" in our lives were real and true, and we acted on them all, what would the world look like? The angels spoke about the future of the world with a sign . . .

"10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. 11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. 12 And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger." - Luke 2:10-12

Give me the kind of faith that acts and does not hesitate. Give me the strength to see things through. Lord, our very births are a sign that we are here to do something. Maybe it is to follow God's leading through His many and wondrous signs.

Keep your eyes open, my friends! It seems as if the world is filled with signs.

Give Me Some Kind Of Sign - Brenton Wood

No comments:

Post a Comment