Monday, October 3, 2016

Need Some Energy This Morning?

My wife and I participated in the Ice Age Trail Hike-A-Thom this past Saturday. Neither one of us was expecting to walk as many miles as we did. We were expecting to take a nice, leisurely walk through God's creation. Instead, we found ourselves on a 10-mile, up one hill, down the next kind of "death march."

Of sure, they had a watering station at the four mile mark where we received an apple and a tiny cup of water to drink. When the day was done, which was about 4:00 in the afternoon, my wife and I could be found slumped on our couch, fearing any movement . . . sure that pieces of us would simply fall off if we did.

Then on Sunday we went to our grandson's 4th birthday party, watching in amazement his limitless energy. Oh, how we wished we had that!! Now that we have so many things to get accomplished before the winter. To have our grandson's energy and his seemingly limitless physical potential would be a miracle.

Our walks with The Lord can be like my wife and me on Saturday - out of energy, listless, and slumped on the couch. How do we get that energy back? Where do we begin to regain that form we once had?

I picked up my Bible this morning and began reading Genesis 28 - the story of Jacob's dream. He too had walked all day. When he stopped for the night he had a dream, during which God spoke to him. When Jacob awoke we was full of energy and excited about what God had in story for Him. He suddenly was aware of the land he was in and how beautiful it was.

Boy, could we use some of THAT energy this Monday morning! Right?

Funny thing is, we HAVE that energy already inside us. We have had the knowledge that we are children of God and, just like Jacob, we have been given a great gift. Jacob received the land that was promised to his father and grandfather. He also received a promise that he would be the father of a great nation and have many descendants.

And so this morning I think about MY family - both heavenly and earthly. I think of God's promises for a new body . . . a new energy, in Christ Jesus. It's time to get up and make this a great day! We are children of the King!! Let us be glad and rejoice in it!

21 I will praise You,
For You have answered me,
And have become my salvation.
22 The stone which the builders rejected
Has become the chief cornerstone.
23 This was the Lord’s doing;
It is marvelous in our eyes.
24 This is the day the Lord has made;
We will rejoice and be glad in it.
25 Save now, I pray, O Lord;
O Lord, I pray, send now prosperity.
26 Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!
We have blessed you from the house of the Lord.
27 God is the Lord,
And He has given us light;
Bind the sacrifice with cords to the horns of the altar.
28 You are my God, and I will praise You;
You are my God, I will exalt You.
29 Oh, give thanks to the Lord, for He is good!
For His mercy endures forever." - Psalm 118:21-29
 
His Love Endures Forever - Michael W. Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment