Saturday, October 15, 2016

Open Our Eyes

Sitting in the park on Mackinac Island, my wife and I were eating our lunch. We love to people watch and that's just what we were doing. Horse-drawn carriages clip-clopping their way to some destination, bicyclists doing the same . . . at three or four times the horses speed.

Pedestrians were everywhere, walking both sides of the street and crossing the street. For such a small little town that doesn't allow motorized vehicles, there sure was a lot of traffic!

Just as I was taking my last bite of Doud's pizza, I noticed a couple crossing the street, arm in arm. One was talking in a rather animated way while the other swung a long, white cane back and forth in front of his feet. He was blind.

That got me to thinking. What would it be like to have never seen anything? My socks would never match. I would not be able to have the job that I do. I couldn't see the face of my grandson, or my kids, or my wife.

Of course there are some benefits as well. I could no longer see any political ads. Facebook would be useless. There would be no scantily-clad women to see on television anymore, no need for window washers, I'd save thousands on gas for my car. Heck, I could SELL my car!

But then I thought about all of the people who don't believe in God. They are spiritually blind. I was that way myself 11 years ago. Blinded to the fact that God is real.

I had no interest in knowing God because he wasn't real to me. Just some fairy tale mythical creature in an old story from my childhood Sunday School.

One thing I have had to deal with after coming to believe is the knowledge that God does not call everybody to His kingdom. He wishes that none would perish but also knows that some will. And some of those people we will know and love.

I have had the pleasure of being blind, spiritually, and then coming to see. It is a wonderful thing! But until you have faith in God it will never happen to you.

As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. His disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?”

“Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus, “but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him. As long as it is day, we must do the works of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work. While I am in the world, I am the light of the world.”

After saying this, he spit on the ground, made some mud with the saliva, and put it on the man’s eyes. “Go,” he told him, “wash in the Pool of Siloam” (this word means “Sent”). So the man went and washed, and came home seeing.

His neighbors and those who had formerly seen him begging asked, “Isn’t this the same man who used to sit and beg?” Some claimed that he was.

Others said, “No, he only looks like him.”

But he himself insisted, “I am the man.”

10 “How then were your eyes opened?” they asked.

11 He replied, “The man they call Jesus made some mud and put it on my eyes. He told me to go to Siloam and wash. So I went and washed, and then I could see.” - John 9:1-11

I think I could handle being blind. I could adjust to a different way of life. But I don't think I could live a life without Jesus. Knowing what I know now, having once been blind only to have my eyes opened, I would have surely perished. But faith in Christ changes that. The gift of eternal life is offered to everyone. Jesus died for everyone.

Open our eyes, Lord. Make us see.

And Now My Lifesong Sings - Casting Crowns

No comments:

Post a Comment