Saturday, December 3, 2016

All In The Name

Yesterday morning, as I was driving in to work, a song came on the radio. It was one of those songs that kind of yanks you right out of a bad mood you're in and puts you right back where you should have been in the first place. The song reminded me of my reason for writing these stories and why I named this blog what I did.

The name of the song that morning was Lifesong by Casting Crowns. There's a link to it at the end of this story. The song's lyrics provide some soul-searching words that convicted me pretty deeply when I was just beginning in my walk with Jesus. They gratefully STILL cut deep - a good reminder for any wayward Christian.

Look at the opening verse. It is so true. There is a saying in many churches that 80% of the work is done by 20% of the people. See if this line doesn't address that.

"Empty hands held high - such small sacrifice. If not joined with my life. I sing in vain tonight."

What good is our worship on Sunday if we don't follow through on Monday? We should be living out our faith every day of the week! We're Christians! Not pagans.

"17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead." - James 2:17

The next part of the first verse encourages us to live a life pleasing to God - basically, to make "the song" that is our life, God-honoring.

"May the words I say, and the things I do, make my lifesong sing . . . bring a smile to you."

I could go on but you get the point. The entire song encourages us to live lives worthy of the calling we have received.

"4 As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. 2 Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. 3 Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace." - Ephesians 4:1-3

As we walk through this place let us remember that we are not home yet. Those of us who have been called to be children of God have a mission - to love others as Christ first loved us. We are not called to judge. That's the job God gave His son, Jesus. We are to be obedient, we are to praise and worship our Lord and King, and we are to become less, making ourselves servants of the Most High God.

"5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; 7 rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. 8 And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death - even death on a cross!" - Philippians 2:5-8

"Let my Lifesong sing to you, let my lifesong sing to you. I want to sign your name to the end of this day, knowing that my heart was true. Let me lifesong sing to you."

Lifesong - Casting Crowns

No comments:

Post a Comment