Monday, March 13, 2017

Black Ops


Church on Sunday was interesting. We had a lesson about the return of Jesus and what would be the signs of His coming. One of those signs sat right in the row in front of me.

"3 But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God." - 2 Timothy 3:1-4

Just as our pastor was about to begin the service, a family of five came in and sat in the row in front of me. A nice looking family. Dad was in a suit, mom wore a pretty dress and their three boys were . . . present.

It was a tough morning for many, what with the time change and all. People had to get up an hour earlier than normal. But three boys!?! A+ for the parents I thought. The boys did pretty good, sitting through the 90-minute service but at the end, when we stood for the final song, I discovered the secret of their "success."

The one boy directly in front of me was playing video games. Everybody stood to sing but he was embattled in some digital conflict in front of me and remained seated. I looked down at his screen and guess what I saw? Two flashing words that spoke volumes about playing video games in church.

"Level: Failed"

Turning my attention towards the words on the screen, I smiled. Guess what song we were about to sing? I can't make this stuff up my friends. After reading to words "Level: Failed" on the boys iPad I looked up to read the words, "Victory in Jesus" on the screen in front of the church. Video game = fail. Jesus = Victory.

I give the parent some credit for getting their children to church. It's getting harder and harder to do these days with all of the distractions that are offered. But to allow him to play a video game in church, well, I wonder if they weren't caving in to the devil's schemes.

I can't judge though because I have done similar things. Although not in church, I have turned on Paw Patrol and let my cranky grandson stare, mouth open, at the screen in my own home. It was for MY convenience and well being that I allowed my grandchild to watch a TV show instead of spending some time playing with him instead. But I was busy. Too busy?

Level: Failed.

We do that more than we know. And we do it to ourselves.

How many times have I gone on Facebook or turned on the television just "to do something mindless"  while my Bible sits there . . . all alone.

The distractions that are available to us every moment of our lives are part of Satan's plan to keep us away from God. Technology and social media can be good things, but if left unchecked, they can play a central role in Satan's schemes. They are Satan's "black ops" in his battle plan against our God.

In this country there is a crime called aiding and abetting. As an example, if you and your friends are robbing a bank, and you are just driving the car, and one of your friends shoots someone, you can be charge with aiding and abetting in a felony murder charge. Are we guilty of aiding abetting the enemy (Satan) by complying with his wishes as he battles our King?

As I examine the distractions in MY life, what steps can I take to eliminate them? The battle is being waged right now. How can we fight it? What will be our weapons? We have none. God will fight for us! But we CAN dress for battle . . .

"But let us who are of the day be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love, and as a helmet the hope of salvation. For God did not appoint us to wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, 10 who died for us, that whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with Him." - 1 Thessalonians 5:8-10

And our weapons?
 
11 Therefore comfort each other and edify one another, just as you also are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:5-11

We are in a battle my brothers and sisters. Let's get after it. Hooah!!

Black Ops TV Commercial
Victory In Jesus - The Singing Contractors

No comments:

Post a Comment