Saturday, March 18, 2017

Life Lessons

Life is like a classroom. God is the teacher and we are the students. The class we are all taking is called "Life - And How To Survive It." It seems like there is an endless opportunity to learn valuable lessons - seemingly everyday. Why just yesterday at work . . .

Before we get to today's lesson, let's digest some background information. The office I work at is being renovated. Yesterday the water service to the building was shut off to the fire protection sprinkler system could be modified. We knew that ahead of time. Most of us that is.

A friend of mine there at work usually fills up his Chicago Bears cup at the drinking fountain and he was doing so yesterday as I walked by. He held the cup and pressed the button . . .

"Wow!!"

The air that had gotten into the pipes shot a stream of water out of the drinking fountain all the way up to the ceiling! The 10-foot ceiling. We both laughed. That was the days lesson. When air gets into the water system, under pressure, watch out!

Lessons are taught with the intention they be learned. So, did I learn the air in the waterline lesson? You be the judge.

The reason I was passing my friend at the drinking fountain was because I was on my way to the bathroom. I entered one of the stalls and did my business. When I was done I reached down to flush the toilet and . . .

Being as old as I am I have gotten pretty good at learning life's lesson. I have learned that, unless you learn a lesson, you are bound to repeat it. So, did I learn my lesson?

Just before I flushed I remembered my friend at the drinking fountain. I stepped to the side and THEN flushed the toilet. Smart man! The incredible air-assisted flush was something to behold. And I gratefully beheld it from a distance.

There are many lessons available to be learned everyday. Most of them have been recorded in the book of Proverbs so we don't have to learn them on our own. The hard way.

“The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction.” - Proverbs 1:7

“Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding." - Proverbs 3:5

“There is a way that appears to be right, but in the end it leads to death.” - Proverbs 14:12

“Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.”
- Proverbs 30:5

“Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and he will establish your plans.” - Proverbs 16:3

There are many lessons that we need to learn in this life. Some of them are critical. Some, not so much. But the most important lesson we can learn is that God loves us. He loves us so much that He sent His one and only Son do die for the lessons we did not learn (the sins we have committed).

God loves us whether we learn our lessons or not. But I think He rejoices when He sees us learn our lessons because that means we are growing. And that, after all, is why we are here, isn't it? The learn life's lessons and to grow to become more like Jesus.

Read His Word. Read His teachings. Learn. Grow. And praise God from whom all blessings flow.

You Love Me Anyway - Sidewalk Prophets
Proverbs Chapters 1-5 - Pastor Chuck Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment