Saturday, March 11, 2017

Why?

When my sister and I were growing up - sixth grade I think for me - we had a neighbor kid who always came around asking us questions. Then, when we'd answer, she'd always come back with another one-word question. "Why?"

To give you an example, here's an imaginary conversation that quite easily could have taken place at our house.

"Hi, Mrs. Hall. Can Mary come out to play?"

"No, Mary's doing her homework right now."

"Why?"

"Because Mary's teacher gave her some work to do after school."

"Why?"

"Because, Mary's teacher wants her to learn."

"Why?"

"Because she is a teacher and that's what teachers do."

"Why?"

At this point, I imagine my mother turning around and yelling into the house, "Mary, get out here and play!" To which my sister probably responded, "WHY!?!"

"Why?" is one of the best learning questions we can ask. It can also be one of the most annoying. It can be annoying if we don't have an answer that satisfies the questioner.

Jesus asked a lot of questions. Here's a question then, with that in mind. After Jesus delivered the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7) we can read about Jesus' interactions with individuals. Jesus asked lots of questions.

Matthew 8:7 - "Shall I come and heal him?"
Matthew 8:26 - "You of little faith, why are you so afraid?"
Matthew 9:4 - "Why do you entertain evil thoughts in your hearts?"
Matthew 9:5 - "Which is easier: to say, 'Your sins are forgiven.' or to say 'Get up and walk?'
Matthew 9:15 - "How can the guests of the bridegroom mourn while he is with them?"

The questions continue throughout the remainder of the book but you get the idea.

Here's a question for you. Why did Jesus ask so many questions if, being fully God and fully man, He already knew the answers? Good question! I think Jesus asked His questions not so HE could learn but that WE might learn. Does that make sense?

So, I have a few questions of my own this morning. Questions that Jesus could easily ask of us? The big question is . . . how will we respond?

"Whom are you seeking?" - John 18:7

And our little neighbor girl might ask, "Why?" Why do we seek Him?

"Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?” - Mark 4:40

Why AM I so afraid of doing or saying something in His name? Is it really my lack of faith?

"Do you love me?" - John 21:16

Jesus even gave us hints to help us answer THIS question.

15 “If you love me, keep my commands." - John 14:21

Jesus actually answered all of our questions on the cross. And all of His previous questions were leading to that fact. Once we arrive, simply by placing our faith in Him, we are adopted into Hid family, given a share in his inheritance, have ALL of our sins forgiven, and are granted eternal life. Not bad, eh?

When we respond to God's Holy Spirit with the correct answer, He no longer is annoying like our little neighborhood girl was. He becomes a blessing. We all will answer the questions Jesus asks. Will we answer rightly in the eyes of God?

"I'm looking someone to change my life. I'm looking for a miracle in my life." - Justin Hayward, The Moody Blues

Question - The Moody Blues
Kids Questions and Letters to God

No comments:

Post a Comment