Monday, April 24, 2017

No Spring Chicken

Yes, it is spring. It is a time when all things are made new again. Flowers are blooming, trees and lawns are turning green. The birds are chirping and my bones are creaking. Why, oh why, at old age are our minds more adventuresome than our bodies?

As I write this story I am sitting in the dining room of our 1200 s.f. ranch home. I can see into the kitchen from here. The living room and sun room too. Based on the way my body feels today, I find it hard to believe that I built this house myself 35 years ago. It should have fallen down by now. And where did I ever get the energy!?

Thirty five years ago I was more supple, more bendable, more resilient. Today I am old. I try doing some of the things I used to do but rather than having success I have twinges and "boings" and I seem to have more snaps, crackles and pops than Kellogg's.

After lamenting my body's woes to a friend, she replied, "You ain't no spring chicken." For those who are not familiar with that phrase . . .

"The phrase ‘No Spring Chicken’ is usually used in a negative way to describe someone who is no longer young, probably past his young adulthood, and sometimes doesn’t realize it and tries to look and act younger than his age." *

My friend was right. Cluck . . cluck.

I am reading through the Book of 2nd Chronicles right now. Solomon just got done building God's house.  (I don't think HE built it himself though. He had "people" for that.) In chapter seven King Solomon dedicated the temple to The Lord. After he had done that God responded at night and told Solomon something that is worthy of remembrance, especially for me as my friends and I try to build a Tiny Home for our communities homeless.

"14 if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land." - 2 Chronicles 7:14.

Last night my wife and I were talking with a neighborhood friend. When our friend asked me what I was building in our yard I replied, "God's house." I wonder if God would heal my body if I humbled myself and prayed. Hmm. You know, He just might. :)

Father, I am building a house for you. Not that you would occupy it like in Jerusalem, but one that you can use for anyone you wish. I pray that you could keep this old body healthy long enough so I can accomplish the work. May there be good weather and plenty of good-weather weekends until I can get it enclosed. I pray for the people you have in mind who will be using it and who will be helping. I pray that you would be glorified in the provision of this home. May the obstacles be few and may many more houses be built - all with the same purpose . . . in Your name.

Can Tiny Homes Solve Homelessness In The U.S.?

* The origin of the phrase actually comes from its literal meaning. In the early 1700s, Farmers found that chickens born in the spring brought better prices than 'old' ones that had gone through the winter. When farmers tried to sell the old birds as 'new spring born', buyers complained that they were 'no spring chicken'. The first recorded use of the phrase in its figurative meaning was in 1906.

No comments:

Post a Comment