Monday, April 3, 2017

Of Fathers and Sons

My wife and I just returned from a wonderful weekend in Michigan, visiting my side of our family. It was my mother's 90th birthday. Quite the cause for celebration!

Before we left home, I packed some clothes to wear. I packed the Compassion tee shirt you see me wearing in the picture standing next to my dad. I packed it specifically because of this photo of me and my father. Dad is no longer with us here on earth but I wanted to honor him this weekend - a time he always loved - with his family.

The men in our family went disc golfing on Saturday. I have played disc golf all of my adult life. Usually in these family contests I somehow manage to eek out wins over my closest competitors - my brother and my son.

This year however, my son beat me and quite handily too. Was I disappointed? No. I actually felt proud. There are times when we pass things on to the next generation and this weekend, for me anyway, was one of those times.

I'd like you to read a passage of scripture from 1st Chronicles 17 - God's Promise To David to hand down something to HIS son. This is God speaking to David through the prophet Nathan.

"11 And it shall be, when your days are fulfilled, when you must go to be with your fathers, that I will set up your seed after you, who will be of your sons; and I will establish his kingdom. 12 He shall build Me a house, and I will establish his throne forever. 13 I will be his Father, and he shall be My son; and I will not take My mercy away from him, as I took it from him who was before you. 14 And I will establish him in My house and in My kingdom forever; and his throne shall be established forever.”’” - 1 Chronicles 17:11-14

Passing things on to the next generation is something to be valued. Treasured. It is an honor bestowed upon fathers - the command of God to teach our children. It brings us great joy when we see our children growing and ultimately surpassing us. What a challenge and an honor!

Before my wife and I left for the return trip home my grandson asked me to teach him to play paper football. My grandson was asking to learn something! Men, never pass up an opportunity to teach something to your child . . . or grandchild. Especially if they are willing.

And let us teach them in such a way that they will remember life's lessons for the rest of their lives. Just as our fathers taught us and their fathers taught them. And let us teach them with honor and in truth. In so doing we will honor our Father in heaven. And so may it be . . . with ALL Fathers and Sons.

Fishing With Father - A River Runs Through ItWhat Is That?
The Parable of The Lost Son - Luke 15

No comments:

Post a Comment