Monday, June 12, 2017

Light Up The Darkness

Have you ever gone to a jeweler to look at some diamonds? Yeah, me neither, but I have heard that when they show you their diamonds they place them on a piece of black velvet. I guess that's so they appear as bright as possible against the dark cloth and are therefore more attractive to the buyer.

One thing that's always bothered me about "the church" is why it looks so much like the world around us? Despite being "saved" we continue to live sinful lives. The divorce rate among Christians is basically the same as unbelievers. There is adultery in the church, stealing, pride, greed . . . we're just like everybody else. The Bible says we are to be holy, set apart from the rest of the world. Shouldn't we stand out and being different?

"No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed (The Holy Spirit) remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God. 10 This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not God’s child, nor is anyone who does not love their brother and sister." - 1 John 2:9-10

There are several young adult couples that I know who profess to be Christians yet are living together "in sin" as they say. And what about Christians who hate others? That's a sin. Does that mean they are not really Christians? Based on that verse we just read, I think it does.

And then there's me. I try but still failing in serving God as much as I should. Why don't I do more? Why don't I spend more time in prayer and worship. Why don't I take more time out of my to speak to others about you, to pray with them, to love them?

We ALL sin. Everyday. But there is a big difference, I think, between committing a sin and wallowing in it. Christians are not to be "wallowers." Swine are. Maybe that's why the Bible doesn't think to highly of them.

Jesus told us that, "If you love me, you will keep my commandments." - John 14:15. Uh-oh. So what's our problem? If we profess belief why aren't we living it?

Exactly.

There is a verse in Joshua 24 that reads, "14 Now therefore fear the Lord and serve him in sincerity and in faithfulness. Put away the gods that your fathers served beyond the River and in Egypt, and serve the Lord. 15 And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.” - Joshua 24:14-15

The key to all of this is choosing whom we will serve. In my opinion, either we are serving God or we are serving ourselves.

Most Christian theologians agree that we are currently living in the end times as prophesied in the Bible. Jesus coming to earth for His children is Biblically imminent. There is no event that must take place to announce His return - only the sudden rapture of His church. I would think that, if we are Christians, we should act like it . . . especially now!

As we walk through this dark world "let our light shine before men, that they may see our good deeds and glorify our Father in heaven" (Matthew 5:16). When we see a brother or a sister wallowing in sin, let us LOVINGLY come along side them and speak our concern for them. But the responsibility for changing them is not our job. That is God's job, along with the Holy Spirit.

You and I were called to SHINE. We are called to be HOLY. So let's light up the darkness with all we've got and shine our light for the whole world to see. Let us fulfill the reason God created us in the first place. Shine a light!

Washed By The Water - Needtobreathe

No comments:

Post a Comment