Monday, June 19, 2017

The Numbering of Days

What would we do if we knew the exact day of our death? How would we react? What would we do with our remaining days? Would we live our lives any differently than we do now? Or would we become changed somehow because of the knowledge of our end?

In the Book of Job we read about a wealthy man who underwent an incredible set of catastrophes in his life. He lost everything - his possessions, his children , his health. He cried out to God to leave him alone so that he might enjoy the days he had left.

"5 Since his days are determined, and the number of his months is with you, and you have appointed his limits that he cannot pass, 6 look away from him and leave him alone, that he may enjoy, like a hired hand, his day." - Job 14:5

Job went through a lot. Would we act any differently than Job if faced with all of the troubles he went through? Job was hoping that God would leave him alone and let him live out his remaining days in peace. Iss that what we want from God?

There is another man in the Bible who was struggling in life. Someone was pursuing him, trying to kill him. Only his take on the numbering of HIS days was different.

4 “O Lord, make me know my end and what is the measure of my days; let me know how fleeting I am!" - Psalm 39:4

This man's name was David. He wanted to know the number of his days so he could live them more effectively, for God.

When I read that verse this week I wondered, "If I knew the number of my days, how would I live them? Would I live them more intentionally than I do now? Would I live my remaining days with a sense of purpose to them, knowing that I would be dying soon?"

My friend Ali died of cancer a few weeks ago. Cancer patients and those with terminal illnesses often are told how many years or months they have remaining. Do they live their remaining days any differently? I think they do. My friend Ali did.

The question we must ask ourselves is, "Where do I place my hope?" In doctors? Or in Jesus? What should be the purpose of our last days? Should it be checking items off some bucket list of things to do "before you kick the bucket"? What a waste.

When I was a kid my answer to the "What would you do if you knew you were going to die tomorrow?" question was "Rob a bank today so I could have lots of money to do stuff with. Hmm, when I was a child I thought like a child.

Today, my answer is much different. My hope is found not in money or physical things. No. My hope is in the Creator of ALL things. My hope is in the one who created each of us in His own image. My hope is in The Lord God Almighty.

"12 So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom." - Psalm 90:12

Father, teach me to number my days so I may be reminded of whose I am and the reason you created me. I was made to worship. I was made to praise you. I was made to love you and to love others. I was not made to complete a bucket list. I was not made for selfish reasons. I was not made to entertain myself, I was made for YOU. Let me live all of my days . . . in You, Lord.

7 “And now, O Lord, for what do I wait? My hope is in you." - Psalm 39:7

My Hope Is In You - Aaron Shust
My Life Is In You, Lord - Joseph  Garlington

No comments:

Post a Comment