Wednesday, August 16, 2017

The Nightly News

There is an old saying that goes, "No news is good news." These days, watching the local or national news at night, I'd have to say that's true. There is nothing good, it seems, on the evening news. And what's there when we DO watch it, is it REALLY "news" at all?

My wife and I just got done with a wonderful vacation. Most of the time we spent together was filled with walking and shopping, eating and moaning (after all the food we ate). There was no news. And we had a wonderful time!

Still, just because there is no news in our lives doesn't mean stuff wasn't going on. When we got back we heard all about the mess in North Carolina - protests, fights, shootings, damage to historic monuments. All a rather disgusting display of humankind. We were not made for this!

I am just entering the Book of Jeremiah in my reading. Chapter One begins wonderfully - a description of how God called Jeremiah.

"Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you. Before you were born I set you apart." - Jeremiah 1:4-5

Wonderful words from God to Jeremiah. The next several chapters however feature anything but love and praise from God. The headings in my Bible read, "Israel Forsakes God, Unfaithful Israel, Disaster From The North, Not One Is Upright." Am I watching the nightly news here?

What we are seeing happening around us is nothing new to God. We have been a disobedient people since Adam and Eve. There are SOME good people around us, but there are not enough of them.

"Do you not say, ‘There are yet four months, then comes the harvest’? Look, I tell you, lift up your eyes, and see that the fields are white for harvest." - John 4:35

There is not one of us that couldn't use a little more Jesus in our lives. Sure, some could use an extra portion or two, so let's do something about it. Let us pray for this nation. Let us pray for humanity. That we might ALL become more knowledgeable in the ways of the Lord so that things might go well with us as a people. Because things are not going well right now, and things will likely get worse.

"1 I lift up my eyes to the mountains - where does my help come from? 2 My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth." - Psalm 121:1-2

The Man and The Birds - Paul Harvey

No comments:

Post a Comment