Wednesday, September 27, 2017

You Are


I'm not sure when it occurred to me. Was it on my ride home? Was it later that night? No, it was yesterday morning during my prayer time. That's when it hit me. It was a message behind the message! See if YOU can figure it out.

First, a little back story. I am building a Tiny Home to be used by those who are in need of a place to stay. Construction has been going slowly all summer. All I have done so far is the floor. It's time to build some walls but I am just one man. So I had an idea - a wall-building party on Saturday. The trouble was, only one person came to help. Together we built and raised one wall. Still, I couldn't have even raised THAT one by myself.

To make things worse the temperature was in the 90's and just about that humid too. By the end of the day I was wiped out - physically, emotionally and spiritually. That's when I made up my mind to hire someone to finish the work. It's nearly October. In Wisconsin! Time is short!! I was depressed at my inability to get more done for those who need homes.

I called a contractor on Sunday but there was no reply. Nor the next day. Remember that bit of information for a few moments.

Monday night I had a meeting with a group of people trying to make a difference in our community. My friend Dana did the opening devotional. It was about Nehemiah and about how the first thing Nehemiah did when we heard about Jerusalem's walls being broken down was he prayed. A great devotional and a great reminder about putting first things first.

But there was a hidden devotional in Dana's devotional about Nehemiah - specifically for me it seemed. Who rebuilt Jerusalem's walls? Most people would answer that Nehemiah did. His name is all over the story. The story is in the Book of Nehemiah. But he did NOT build the walls. The people of Jerusalem did. God used His people to build the walls!

When I told our group about my decision to hire someone to finish building the Tiny Home, they wouldn't hear of it.

"We'll have a barn raising party only for the Tiny Home!"

"I know some carpenter friends."

"I'll make a lunch for everybody."

"I'll help out too!"

Although I am the guy with the trailer and all of the lumber in his garage, I'm not going to be the guy building and raising the walls. It will be the people of our community. Think about it. It's perfect. That's the way it should be! That's why no contractors are returning my calls. Just like in the story about Nehemiah and the Israelites, God had the people build the walls.

God had this plan all along. Who would have ever thought that!! (sarcasm) No wonder things were moving so slowly. It was because I was trying to do things on my own. Without God. God will build this house. I just have to get out of the way.

Lord, you are the God of these people. You are the light in this darkness. Who's building this tTiny Home, Lord? It's obvious. YOU are.

God Of This City - Chris Tomlin
Chris Tomlin talks about "God Of This City"
Building The Barn - Witness

Nehemiah

Who rebuilt the walls?

2 comments:

  1. I can understand your feelings about getting so little accomplished when you know God has put a mission on your heart. And yes, God has it all planned out. By the way, when is this tiny house raising being held? If I have a way there I'll help in anyway I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The event is being held on October 14th beginning at 9:30 and going until we've all had enough. LOL! Contact Gayle. I believe she is coming.

      Delete