Wednesday, November 29, 2017

The Parable of The Icy Sheets


As winter approaches, climbing into bed in Wisconsin can be . . . well, an "exhilarating" experience. Icy sheets bring "Let it go!" screams from under our frigid blankets. But eventually, if we can survive the initial chill, things eventually begin to warm up. A little.

Last night my wife and I were getting ready for bed. Why do women take longer than men to get ready for bed anyway? I think it's so we can warm up the covers a bit before they climb in. Just a theory.

So I was lying there, shivering in bed as my wife was brushing her teeth in the bathroom. Then, for some unknown reason, I decided it would be a good idea to slide over and warm up HER side of the bed.

"Aww, how sweet," you might say. Nope. It was dumb. I triple froze myself. First I froze on my side, then on her side, then again on my side again because the heat left my side the same time I did. I was triple frozen!

When my wife finally DID climb into bed though her side was all toasty and warm. You should have heard her. I think that was the first time I have ever actually HEARD joy.

"Oh, man! This is so warm!! It's wonnnnnnnderful!!"

This time of year men across the globe are trying to find the best gift for their wives this Christmas. They'll spend a lot of time and money trying to get the perfect thing. Ha! Not me. I have found the perfect gift and it doesn't cost a cent. My heat! Of course it IS a seasonal gift. My heat is abhorred come late July and August. Sigh. I guess it's not the perfect gift after all.

There has only ever been one perfect Christmas gift - Jesus.

But there IS a hint in this "frozen" story of mine about what DOES make gifts "perfect". Sacrifice. Thinking about the other person's needs and desires above our own. Our gifts don't have to come with hefty price tags but they DO have to come from the heart.

When God sent His Son to earth in the form of a baby He knew that one day He would sacrifice that same precious gift. God placed OUR needs above His own. And although His gift to us came from His heart it DID cost him a lot - His Son.

"17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning." - James 1:17

Every Good Gift - One: A Worship Collective

No comments:

Post a Comment