Monday, November 20, 2017

What's Important?

Wow! It's Monday morning already? Where did the weekend go? There never seems to be enough time in a given day to do all of the things we'd like to do. What if there was a way to get all of our important things done and out of the way so we could have a nice relaxing weekend? Well, . . .

Perhaps we should start by defining what "important things" are. What things are important in YOUR life? Family? Friends? Your job?

I think our "important things" can easily be defined by the decisions we make every day. Especially when our schedules get full. There are times in our life when we have to choose between A and B. That choice defines what is more important.

Let's talk about relationships for a moment. You call someone asking them if they'd like to hang out. When they don't return your call, after a while it becomes obvious they have something more important to do. At least it can seem that way to us. That person in our lives has made a decision. Something other than us is more important to them.

I volunteer at a food pantry one day each month. I love talking with all of the people I meet there. Sometimes I pray for them or encourage them in some way. I do that kind of stuff because that's who God designed me too be. But sometimes I get tired and don't feel like going.

This past Saturday morning I was pretty tired. I needed to get some work done on the tiny house I am building too. But I made a decision - I went to Ruby's Pantry anyway. Tired and cold, and about to learn a lesson in importance.

As the morning wore on, one of the people I had prayed with in the past came up to me and gave me a card. It was a Christmas card. A little early but appreciated none the less. Later, when I opened the card at home, I was struck by the message inside.

"Thank you for being my best friend."

I'm somebody's best friend, and I don't even know their name? That's pretty sad on my part. Yet, I am somebody's best friend. And they took the time to get me a card. They made a decision and I hope they are blessed for it.

It occurred to me that I must like the taste of humble pie because it seems I have had my fair share lately. And that's good. This latest serving tough made me stop and think about how I sometimes get weary and want to sleep in our skip a day serving others.

That will NEVER happen again.

I am reminded of a command from Jesus.

"45 Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom the master has put in charge of the servants in his household to give them their food at the proper time? 46 It will be good for that servant whose master finds him doing so when he returns. 47 Truly I tell you, he will put him in charge of all his possessions. " - Matthew 24:45-47

Will God approve of the decisions we make each day? When things on our busy schedules have to be sacrificed, who will pay the price? When Jesus returns will He find us serving those in need? Or will we be scrolling through Facebook, playing a video game or watching a movie?

Jesus told His disciples that the last shall be first and the first shall be last. I want to be last. I want to be a servant. I'm going to make my daily decisions with that in mind, And do you know what will happen next if we do that? The things we once thought were important in our lives will fade away in favor of the things that are more important . . . in God's eyes.

Give Me Your Eyes - Brandon Heath

No comments:

Post a Comment