Monday, December 4, 2017

Do What You Like

You'll never guess what I did last night. I sat and watched my wife cook dinner. I know. I lead such and exciting life. But I find it interesting watching people doing something they love to do, especially when they do it well like my wife does.

If I tried to cook dinner it wouldn't turn out very good. I know. I've tried. It doesn't. Oh, I can do SOME stuff. I can microwave a hot dog, open a can of beans and pour some milk. But if I had to cut up a squash, grate it, mix in some cheese and seasoning, all while boiling noodles and frying bacon, we'd all starve. Or die. Or both!

What things are YOU good at? I'd be willing to bet you're good at something. Think about it. Even the most random thing. What is it that you're good at.

My wife tells me that I'm good at fixing things. I guess that's true. More often than not I can get something running, ticking or humming when it wasn't before. I guess that's a gift.

My wife is good at cooking and being a mom. My friend is good at sewing. My daughter is good at teaching and my grandson is good at organizing his collection of cars. We're ALL good at something.

Is there some purpose to the things we're good at? I think there should be. God gave us these abilities. Why? Why would He make us able to do something better than somebody else and make THEM better at going something than us? There has to be a reason. I think there is.

The answer lies in "the first and greatest commandment."

37"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ - Matthew 22:37-39

Could it be that we are to use our abilities for God and for our neighbors? As a way of showing others that we love them?

Why does my wife cook meals for me? She loves to cook and bake and she loves doing that for me. She doesn't want me to starve after all! And why do I fix things for her? Because she can't and I want to make her happy. It's because I love her.

I have two friends who clean up all the leaves in the yard at church. It's not like they love raking or are particularly gifted at it. They love serving and the serve God and our church by getting rid of all the leaves.

There are countless examples of people using their gifts in this world. The question is, why are they using them? Is if for "self" of for "others." Are we focused inwardly? Or externally?

God wants us to use the gifts He gave us to glorify Him and to serve others. And what a perfect time of year to do that! This Christmas season, how will we use out gifts to accomplish that? Think about it. I'm sure we all can think of some way to bless others and honor God at the same time. Do what you like, but do it for the glory of God. Let's do it!! :)

God's Gift To You

No comments:

Post a Comment