Wednesday, February 21, 2018

The Unlocked Door

There is something inviting about a door that has been left open or unlocked. It's almost like we are being invited in. It can also be like some event in life that hasn't quite finished yet because the door hasn't been shut. But it can also be a sign of hope, like there's still a chance for us.

This past Saturday was Ruby's Pantry - a local food distribution center for those who are in need. I volunteer there each month, pre-registering those who wait in line. I get to know the people who come there. What a blessing that is to me.

Hundreds of people go through the line the third Saturday of each month. Some are regulars, others are coming there for the first time. The door is always open. Well, until 10:30 when it's time to close the doors for the day.

So, as 10:30 rolled around this past Saturday, I found myself heading down the long, long hallway towards the front door. Time to go home and get some rest for us weary volunteers. That's when I saw a black pickup pull into the parking lot.

I watched as a woman opened the passenger side door and got out. I smiled and began to unlock the door I has just locked and opened the door for the lady.

"Is there someone I can talk to?" she asked.

"Sure," I replied. "What do you need?"

"The IRS took all of my husband's paycheck and we don't have any money for food or gas for the truck. We were hoping you might have some food."

"Sure. Come on in," I smiled again.

You see, I knew something this lady didn't.

Earlier that day as I was getting ready to leave home for Ruby's, I put $20 in my pocket for my friend Tom - a Vietnam veteran who had also been experiencing money problems. He usually shows up at Ruby's via taxi because he has trouble walking. I was planning on paying for his share of food that day (Although the food is always free, the diesel fuel for the trucks that haul it is not). The interesting thing was, my friend didn't show up.

I was smiling that day because I still had Tom's $20 in my pocket when this lady showed up. I smiled because, once again, I was allowed to witness God at work in someone's life. Providing for their needs. Opening doors. What an amazing God we serve. :)

There was an offer of prayer in the hallway. The lady accepted. As I said Amen and she continued on her way down the hallway, I smiled yet again as I remembered this verse that Jesus delivered to us all in the Book of Revelation.

"20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me." - Revelation 3:20

I got to open the door that day when somebody knocked. They were hungry - wanting to eat. Did Jesus meet this lady at Ruby's Pantry that day? Did He dine with her? I don't know. But it made me smile to think that He promised us He would do just that if we let Him. If we hear His voice.

There is always an open door with God but He has also told us that one day the door will be shut and locked. The question is which side of the door will we be on? Inside, where all the food is? Or outside in the cold, looking in.

Someone's At The Door - Nathaniel Bassey

No comments:

Post a Comment