Saturday, March 24, 2018

The Little Things

We all go through life, day after day after day. It can be pretty boring, like we're stuck in a rut. It's almost like we can switch off our brains and simply go through the motions. But them something happens. Something NOT expected, NOT ordinary. A wonderfully amazing gift of grace and love and . . . banana bread.

I am retiring this coming Friday and these last few weeks have been atypical for me. Like yesterday when I picked up my paycheck. I thought, "This is my second to LAST paycheck! Yikes!!" I have been talking with co-workers more. Treasuring every conversation as if it were the last because it just . . . might . . . be. :O

As I was making coffee at work this week a lady came up to me and reached into her pocket. She pulled out a zip lock bag and gave it to me saying, "Here. I baked some banana bread last night and this is for you. We're really going to miss you around here."

Awww. How special. How sweet. That made my day. The slightest little gesture can change someone's entire outlook on life. That got me thinking about MY life? Do I do random things like that to pour into someone else's life? I might do a few things but I don't do enough of them.

Wednesday was my wife's birthday. I bouht her a card. She likes getting cards. The only trouble was she was and hour and a half away, baby sitting our granddaughter. It would have been the first time we had ever been apart for our birthdays on 40 years of marriage. Would have been.

I drove an hour and 40 minutes after work and hand-delivered her card. It was a little thing but it made her day.
Is there someone in your life right now who could use a little cheering up? I'm guessing that there is. So what could you do for them today? Just something simple. Send an encouraging text, Call someone. Open a door for someone. Let someone go ahead of you in whatever line you are in.

 We have been given much by our amazing God. Let's keep it going by giving freely to those around us. In that way they will notice our love. It's a simple way to "let our light shine bright" :)

"16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Lights Shine Bright - TobyMac

No comments:

Post a Comment