Saturday, April 7, 2018

The First Days

Image by Fernando Puente
Well, I've been retired now for one whole week and I've discovered a few things. For one, it's weird waving goodbye to your wife in the morning. Except for being sick and off from work, that never happens. Well, it's happening now and it's weird.

Another thing I've discovered is that it's really easy to sit down and watch TV for extended amounts of time. I already knew that but being retired and the only one in the house, well, it's dangerous! Therefore I don't turn the TV on except for weather or a pre-approved, pre-DVR'd show. Newton Minow, former chair of the FCC, called television "a vast wasteland." Ol' Newt was right!

As I walk around the house I am finding unfinished projects of mine from decades gone by. I am now finishing them. That's a good thing. I'm fixing an old, handmade window frame right now. That doesn't mean much to you perhaps but it has been sitting on my workbench for years! I guess that's a goal of mine - to find the top of my workbench. LOL!

Another nice thing is, I can play my music as loud as I want without my wife leaving the room or rolling her eyes at me. Have you ever heard the band Skillet? Perhaps the volume isn't high enough yet. Ha ha!

I do miss the time spent with my friends at work though. That sucks. Just seeing their faces everyday always made me smile.  I miss that.

But I think by far the best thing that has changed since I have retired is the increased time I have been able to spend reading the Bible. God's Word is like a rock in my life. When things are going badly I can always stand firm upon it and weather any storm.

I am currently reading through Leviticus and, although it can be a little hard to get really excited about, there are a few gems hidden in all of its rules and regulations. This one touched me deeply. Speaking about God's sacrificial system for sin, God dictated this to Moses.

"For the life of a creature is in the blood, and I have given it to you to make atonement for yourselves on the altar; it is the blood that makes atonement for one's life." - Leviticus 17:11

Jesus sacrificed HIS blood on the cross for OUR sins.

Why are there tears in my eyes right now?

Father, thank you so much for leading me to this point in my life. A time where I can take my time. Take my time reading your word. Take my time serving others. Take my time in worship and in prayer.

Thank you not allowing me to fall into the time-wasting traps the world offers. You remind me each day who is really important - You, my friends, my family, the things I do to worship and serve you. It is important not to leave thise things behind.

And thank you for your sacrifice and your calling us to Yourself that made this all possible. I love you, Lord. You are my hero. Amen.

Hero - Skillet

No comments:

Post a Comment